Friday, January 15, 2010

Feedback from Get Lit Players 2009 In-School BLITZ Made Possible by the Flourish Foundation

Franklin High:
“Thank You so much for bringing Get lit to Franklin HS. Your students were incredible. I don't think there has been one group that has performed at my school that has kept my students complete attention. Your kids were talented, original, inspirational and yet approachable. The whole experience was fantastic. Getlit players blended modern and classic poetry seamlessly and allowed my students to see connections between hip hop and Herman Hesse. They invited two of my students to participate and they were so nurturing and reassuring that my students felt comfortable enough to come and share their poetry too. I can't say enough about what you have created here. I have some students who are interested in auditioning so please let me know about audition dates. Once again Getlit players knocked it out of the park and entertained and educated my often apathetic students. Thanks Getlit, come back as soon as you can.”
David Levine, Lead Teacher, MEGA Academy, Franklin HS

Paramount High:
“Thanks for the wonderful performance. Your original poems were moving and powerfully performed. The language and images were stunning and SO TRUE. The poems you performed by other authors were well-chosen! My students were inspired to pay more attention to language and to even write some of their own poetry. You did more in 50 minutes than I can accomplish in a week with the textbook!”
Tony Durante’s Junior level Language Arts Classes, Paramount High School

Paramount Student’s – from Tony Durante’s Class:


“The performance was awesome! You guys inspire me and you guys made me cry.” Amiel jai Zubiri

“The performance was very good! Every poem was full of emotions. I believe every poem made many people open their eyes to see the world differently!” Sonia Maldonado

“I loved the fact that they used feelings and emotions when they read the poems out loud, it actually gave me the chills when they was talking with such feeling.” Deyanira Garcia

“I really enjoyed the poems. The poems were powerful and they spoke the truth… This presentation gave me a respect for poets and there art.” Manuel Gonzalez

“I had a great opportunity watching all you perform, it was a great experience to see something different, it made realize how people use words to express their feelings, one day I might become a poet.” Jerramie Jackson

“I loved your guy’s performance yesterday; it taught me to express my opinions more and emotions rather than keeping them in and letting it all build up into frustration. I now know that poetry can be a problem-solving method. Thank you.” Amber Rios

“Hey Get-Lit… I really enjoyed your performance yesterday. The poems all of you shared with us really grasped my attention. I felt the pain and the other emotions that were coming through the poems. It had even inspired me to continue writing poetry again.” Kyra Medlock

“I really enjoyed the poetry and how you can make your own poem out of you life experience.” Hilary Rojas

“You guys were great keep it up and represent for LA.” Alejandro Ruiz

“I liked the performance yesterday it was very inspiring because it taught you a lot about literature...“ Ashley Torres

“Your guys performance was outstanding an each one of you was unique an I loved it, you made me want to read poems and express myself my artistically.” Lillian Vega

“The Get Lit Performance was amazing. It was something I did not expect it to be. I would love to see them again perform. It was very unique and original. I’m not much of a writer of a poet, but I do know some stuff about literature. Ireally appreciate that you guys took time to come here and perform.” - Octavio Alarcon

“I enjoyed the poems. I have never really been interested into poetry but yesterday’s performance was great! I liked it because they talked about conflicts us teenagers go through everyday.” Yaritza Zamudio

“When the group Get Lit performed their poems it inspired me a lot to express myself on paper.” Christian Reyes

“I really enjoyed the poems it was great having u guys read your original poems they were really good, I like that they were deep they got to me and I know they got to others too.” Jose Lopez

From Nancy Himel:
“Today I was so amazed at the thank you letters my students wrote. They still remembered lines, how Dario's home didn't feel like a home, how Jazmine saw wings on a girl, and how sad they felt for some of the words in Brianna's poem. My kids felt empathy and were willing to admit that poetry could astound and bring people together…The Get Lit Players send out such an aura of delight and confidence as they perform their poems that students and teachers alike cannot help but be drawn in. What an amazing inspiration they are!”
Nancy Himel, Lead Teacher, Paramount High

Paramount Students - From Nancy Himel’s Class:

“Your poems sent shivers down my spine through the whole performance.” Richard Hency

“My spirit was lifted by the ways you guys showed me how fun poetry can really be!...I know Get Lit touched many people’s hearts and cheered people up…. Your performances were outrageous!” Erick Soza

“Your performance at PHS was the bomb… All those poems seemed like they were knocking on the door of my heart.”
Kerry Nelson

“…I think that you were put in the world to inspire people.” Daniel Zavaleta

“…I felt you guys spoke the truth and nothing but the truth, which made it more interesting and inspiring. I was astonished to see how teens, just like me, could be so creative when writing a piece of their unique work. It seemed as if you guys not just connected with me, but with the entire audience, and for that I loved I had the opportunity to be
there.” Isaac Torres

“Your confidence and emotion shown while reciting your poems left me speechless. When it seemed as if you guys were pouring your heart out while reciting your work, I began to think I should do what I enjoy also. With your words, I began to take into consideration that with a bit of effort, great things are produced. Your words, inspiring and
motivating, made me believe I should feel free to do what I desire, despite what others think…” Jackie Chavez

“To tell you the truth I don’t like poems but somehow I like yours.” Iram Soto

“Your performance at Paramount High School was a success to me because each one of you poets inspired me to write poems when I’m alone in the car or when I’m bored. When I heard that a group of teenagers were going to come to our high school I wasn’t looking forward to it. I always thought poetry was boring, but when you guys performed for
us Paramount High School students I was speechless.” Omar Herrera

“Poetry was never really my thing, but now because of the way that all you told us, it made me see it a whole different way.” Ernest Jammill


LACES High:
“Great experience . . I love poetry and performing and seeing Get Lit inspired me to start writing poems again.” Srishty Amarnari

“It opened the world of poetry to me.” Mariele Saunders-Schultz

“Opened my eyes to poetry.” Max Jurand

“I used to think poetry was boring, but now it has opened my mind.” Katie Scott

“Your performance got me thinking about Literature.” Noah Reyes

“The performance inspired me to write poetry.” Anna DeSanto

“Loved it . . . different from anything I’ve ever seen.” Sue Chang

“Amazing . . . poetry is more than nursery rhymes to me now.” Rozelle Bustos

Van Nuys High:

“Teachers and students alike have been talking about you guys!! They LOVED the performance. I have overheard students talking about the fact that it really made them think about life more deeply… You and your storytellers were a fabulous hit!!! Thank you so much for sprinkling the magic of poetry into our lives.” Suzanne Ozman, Head Librarian Van Nuys High

Fairfax High:
“The performances were very worthwhile and communicated meaningfully with the audience. Thank you for identifying such talents and working so deeply with these students. The messages they convey are profound and important. I am certain that under your guidance they have grown immeasurably and will continue to do so.” Pat Abrams, recently retired Head of English Department Fairfax High

Zane Grey High:
“They were all so fantastic. I wish we could find funding to have you guys come regularly!” Mayda Yetenekian, teacher

Camino Nuevo High:
“The GetLit Players were phenomenal in their capacity to connect with our students and to engage them in meaningful dialogue about the power of the spoken word. Our students were enraptured by the various voices and styles brought by the GetLit poets, and displayed a rarely seen focus and passion for the presentation. GetLit’s fine balance of approachability and highly refined skills encouraged our budding poets to apply some of the observed techniques in their own nascent poetry.” P.Tiller 10th Grade Humanities Teacher, Camino Nuevo High School

“I think that the poets who came were great. It was amazing to see that there are groups out there to help students who like poetry to fulfill that dream. I think it’s really great that at a young age some students are capable of such great poetry” Marcella G., Grade 10

“I really enjoyed how you showed emotion with your poetry. I really felt something when you were performing.”
Brenda V., Grade 10

“Something that I enjoyed was when two poets recited a poem at the same time. I also enjoyed the way all of the poets used different literary devices like, rhyme, rhythm, repetition that we had been learning in English.” Nestor F., Grade 10

John Wooden High:
Dear Diane,
Whoa! My students got lit! Thanks so much. My students declared this the best assembly they have seen! Your team was fantastic in every way. Great personalities, talented, easy to work with. I had about 8 students who wanted to perform and more wanted to, once they experienced what was happening. I was so proud of my students, some who were shy, but volunteered anyway, and I had some very talented students, who really appreciated this opportunity. All of them were so proud of themselves to get up and take a chance. I had tears in my eyes-I was so moved. My students were texting other students who weren't in school today and telling them how great it was! I am so thrilled to see the fruits of your labors of love. Our principal came over and was equally impressed. Everyone
wants them back, so if that's a possibility, please let me know. You always have a place here!
Brenda Young, teacher John Wooden High

"The students are still talking about the Get Lit performance several weeks later. In fact, several students have approached me to start a poetry/spoken word club at our school. I love it!"
Brenda Young, teacher John Wooden High

John Wooden Students
"The poetry you guys come up with is epic and mind-blowing. You have inspired me to a great extent. I never knew that expressing yourself through poetry could be so enjoyable.” Marlon Galario

"I learned that if you are speaking from your heart you can touch people so deeply you can make them cry." Devontae Russell

"To be honest, I'm not too fond of poetry, but Get Lit has changed my opinion quite a bit. You have also given me the reassurance that I have the potential to change the social environment around me." Paul Quintero

"Get Lit was nothing short of amazing, you must inspire a lot of teens. I know you have inspired me. I write basically every day now since the performance." Jason Letinsky

"I really think that Get Lit's performances influence the way people think about literature and English because they said things that really matter in the world, but in a way that really catches peoples' attention and I acknowledge and appreciate that." Kezzy Jaictin

No comments: